Unbreakable Hilux - oh what a feeling toyota

Got a thin skin? Then look elsewhere. Post a link to an image that you've made, and invite others to offer their critiques. Honesty is encouraged, but please be positive in your constructive criticism. Flaming and just plain nastiness will not be tolerated. Please note that this is not an area for you to showcase your images, nor is this a place for you to show-off where you have been. This is an area for you to post images so that you may share with us a technique that you have mastered, or are trying to master. Typically, no more than about four images should be posted in any one post or thread, and the maximum size of any side of any image should not exceed 950 px.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please note that image critiquing is a matter of give and take: if you post images for critique, and you then expect to receive criticism, then it is also reasonable, fair and appropriate that, in return, you post your critique of the images of other members here as a matter of courtesy. So please do offer your critique of the images of others; your opinion is important, and will help everyone here enjoy their visit to far greater extent.

Also please note that, unless you state something to the contrary, other members might attempt to repost your image with their own post processing applied. We see this as an acceptable form of critique, but should you prefer that others not modify your work, this is perfectly ok, and you should state this, either within your post, or within your signature.

Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 950 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and typically no more than four images per post or thread.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Unbreakable Hilux - oh what a feeling toyota

Postby darb on Mon May 09, 2005 1:18 am

http://darb.net/pipidinny/

Sitting on beach, rancho relaxo ... hear a panicked voice on UHF from a mate who was due to meet us very soon ... saying he's upside down and needs help ... about 1km up the beach from us. All OK aside from a few bruises, dents, wounded pride and a lesson or two.

Some others ;

darb

Postby PiroStitch on Mon May 09, 2005 1:34 am

Jeebers Darb! Did they tip the Hilux back?

Nice photos by the way :)
PiroStitch

Postby Andyt on Mon May 09, 2005 1:34 am

Well done Darb!,

A ....ar..um...er... dare I say it?.... A Genuine NIKON Moment! :lol:

Thanks for sharing!!! :lol:

Andyt
Andyt

Postby Bruno on Mon May 09, 2005 1:39 am

Nicht erlaubtes hotlink, suchen bitte erlaubnis!
I get a hotlink error.

had a look in the link, nice!
How did they turn it over?

Cheers
Bruno

Postby darb on Mon May 09, 2005 1:45 am

bruno : fixed ... you did not have a "www" or "forum" hostname infront of the domain name, so wasnt in my allow list.

re the 4wd ... we pulled the back of it around with other 4wd's and then bunch of guys pushed it up over. No problems except a bit of smoke from oil getting into parts of engine it shouldnt ... and put new power steering fluid in as that had leaked everywhere.
darb

Postby Glen on Mon May 09, 2005 12:17 pm

Great shot Brad of a startling moment
Glen

Postby darb on Mon May 09, 2005 12:22 pm

yah well nothing photographically special at play here ... just an interesting moment.

All humourous in hindsight. Stupid at the time :)
darb

Postby mic on Mon May 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Boys & their toys :roll: & the girls end in tears :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Oh What A Feeling" Daaarrrrbbbb !
mic
Retired Egg Flipper

Postby mudder on Mon May 09, 2005 8:00 pm

Whooops, don't think the "boss" was too impressed but I'll bet the boys had fun and a laugh over it over a few beers later :lol:
Aka Andrew
mudder

Postby Manta on Mon May 09, 2005 8:27 pm

What caused the rollover - a blown highlight? :lol:

Nice shots Darb but I'm deeply concerned about the lengths you'll go to in order to post a pic!
Simon
D300 l MB-D10 l D70 l SB-800 l 70-200 VR l TC 17-E l 18-70 f3.5-4.5 l 70-300 f4-5.6 l 50 f1.4 l 90 Macro f2.8 l 12-24 f4
http://www.redbubble.com/people/manta
Manta
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year

Postby darb on Mon May 09, 2005 9:05 pm

a mixture of stupidity, bad luck, inexperience and deceptive visuals ... we nearly came a cropper there too ... cant explain it, but sometimes eyes just dont notice something ... then by the time he realised he was on a ledge, he tried to steer it downwards (so as not to be sideways) but not a chance ...
darb

Postby Matt. K on Mon May 09, 2005 9:12 pm

Hey Darb
I can see you guys have a lot of fun on the waters edge there...but do you have any concerns about ripping up the environment...the foreshore grasses and all the other fragile eco-systems that live along there? Or is that a special place reserved for 4X driving?
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby darb on Mon May 09, 2005 9:21 pm

matt : the area has been an area riddled with 4wd's, dirt bikes and what-not for many many years .. unoffocially i believe, but at least it keeps everyone tearing up one area.

that said, technically it isnt allowed, and all said and done, within a year or two there will be suburbs, a freeway, and rail link right through the guts of it. its already earmarked.

ps, most of our guys tend to not rip up grass etc, but yeh it does happen.
darb

Postby Geoff on Thu May 12, 2005 1:47 pm

Great shots Brad, u didn't happen to get any of the recovery process of the hilux did u? :)
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Postby darb on Thu May 12, 2005 1:58 pm

Geoff wrote:Great shots Brad, u didn't happen to get any of the recovery process of the hilux did u? :)

Nah, would have liked to. Basically we faffed around for an hour n half trying a fwe things, owner a little paranoid about damaging it further etc ... we had contacted his father who's an expert with this stuff (not that we relied on him, but he was coming up all the same incase things turned nasty, and the tide continued its ascent etc) ... sunset was fast approaching ... but the turnoff to the raod that gest into this place has no sign ...

I was the only guy with a vehicle not on the beach, so right on sunset (car still upside down.) I grabbed UHF handheld & took the quad bike all way back to the sealed road where my car was, took car to the main highway and sat until his dad rolled along, then he followed me back in, parked the car, got back on quad and he followed me through the maze of dunes / tracks (he was in his 4wd, myself on the quad.) ... nighttime by this stage. Had recieved word on the uhf that they had it on its wheels again, and when we arrived back at scene, they were checknig the engine over ... filled up the power steering fluid (dans dad brought some up as he knew it would need it.) ... a bit of chugging, bit of smoke as oil in wrong parts burnt off, and then off we went ...

i tell you what though i was spewing i didnt have camera when i was on the quad heading back to car ... the whole place was lit up an awesome bright pink & red, there was something eerie about it! Nothing like flying along a deserted beach on a warm evening while the sun goes down. (that quad has a ridiculous amount of power, the other "brad" who owns it, races and was even offered a spot on the crusty demons of dirt tour thing) Felt like another planet ... Well, except for the fact my mate's car was rolled a few km's behind me :)
darb

Postby Manta on Thu May 12, 2005 2:31 pm

I think some important lessons were learned here. Someone could have been seriously injured or, at the very least, a perfectly good 4WD may have been written off, all through a few moments of bravado coupled with inexperience. Some may see this incident as a bit of a laugh but, in reality, it was probably not far off being on the evening news as another unecessary fatality.

I'm not meaning to be judgemental but it sounds like this patch of terrain attracts more than its fair share of yahoo behaviour. God help the natural inhabitants, plant and animal alike. Just my two cents worth, as someone who's been driving offroad and training other 4wders for more years than I care to remember.
Simon
D300 l MB-D10 l D70 l SB-800 l 70-200 VR l TC 17-E l 18-70 f3.5-4.5 l 70-300 f4-5.6 l 50 f1.4 l 90 Macro f2.8 l 12-24 f4
http://www.redbubble.com/people/manta
Manta
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year

Postby darb on Thu May 12, 2005 2:38 pm

Manta wrote:I think some important lessons were learned here. Someone could have been seriously injured or, at the very least, a perfectly good 4WD may have been written off, all through a few moments of bravado coupled with inexperience. Some may see this incident as a bit of a laugh but, in reality, it was probably not far off being on the evening news as another unecessary fatality.

I'm not meaning to be judgemental but it sounds like this patch of terrain attracts more than its fair share of yahoo behaviour. God help the natural inhabitants, plant and animal alike. Just my two cents worth, as someone who's been driving offroad and training other 4wders for more years than I care to remember.

Yeah noones missed the seriousness of it, at least in our camp. It was inexperience, inattention, a hint of stupidity and a bit of bad judgement. There wasnt any "bravado" going on, however. (not in that circumstance anyway, he was on his own with girlfriend.) He self flaggelated himself over it, and no doubt learnt a lesson. Thats life, and we love it. His girlfriend wont let him hear the end of it, rest assured. And it is worth a laugh, all said and done. :)

That section of the beach IS a little deceptive, and as soon as we heard him on the radio saying he'd rolled, we guessed that section was where he was ... we were right.

What prevented it being a serious accident was that he was going slowly and cautiously ... albeit, not enough !

ps re the local eco system ... answered that on page 1 if youre interested. The place is a hacking ground for offroad activity, but it'll soon be a freeway and housing in any case.
darb

Postby ozimax on Thu May 12, 2005 6:04 pm

Like the quad "mono" or is that "duo"?

Reminds of when I worked for RTA - young bloke, newly married, came in with a set of twisted number plates to hand in. On their honeymoon, they took a brand new 4WD onto the beach, Fraser Island I think it was, got it stuck, tide came in and voila! Car literally disappeared in salt water!

Oh well, at least it was insured.

Max
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Postby darb on Thu May 12, 2005 6:12 pm

ozimax wrote:Like the quad "mono" or is that "duo"?

Reminds of when I worked for RTA - young bloke, newly married, came in with a set of twisted number plates to hand in. On their honeymoon, they took a brand new 4WD onto the beach, Fraser Island I think it was, got it stuck, tide came in and voila! Car literally disappeared in salt water!

Max

ouch! Thats my fear ... i want to get a nice 4wd, some training, and enjoy it ... im certainly in a great state for that, but scared sh1tless of wrecking my new toy. (not even through stupidity, just the risks of climbing dunes and what-not.)
darb

Postby ozimax on Thu May 12, 2005 6:15 pm

Why not start out with an oldie eg 80's cruiser, landie or something. The banana growers here in Coffs Hbr all use old landrovers, aluminium chassis and the only thing that can climb the steep hills.

Or maybe even an older Daihatsu?

Max
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Postby birddog114 on Thu May 12, 2005 6:17 pm

Max

I have seen that picture somewhere in the past, the skeleton of the old (Old now but maybe new before) model Landcruiser was sitting on the edge of the water.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby darb on Thu May 12, 2005 6:25 pm

Birddog114 wrote:

Max

I have seen that picture somewhere in the past, the skeleton of the old (Old now but maybe new before) model Landcruiser was sitting on the edge of the water.

it happens pretty often ! plenty of 4wd magazines with punters and damaged cars, or sitting on a dune watching their $90k sahara landy float out to sea hehehehe.

hey i can top it ... end result was my arm in 13 pieces and airlift from rottnest island back to perth for surgery, with 4 pins and 2 screws in my elbow :) ;

darb

Postby birddog114 on Thu May 12, 2005 6:27 pm

darb,
Scary though! I have a 4WD but never gone far like that, perhaps I'm chicken :wink:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby darb on Thu May 12, 2005 6:28 pm

ozimax wrote:Why not start out with an oldie eg 80's cruiser, landie or something. The banana growers here in Coffs Hbr all use old landrovers, aluminium chassis and the only thing that can climb the steep hills.

Or maybe even an older Daihatsu?

Max

yeah my thoughts exactly, I could get a cheap "dune pig" to use ... then i dont have to worry about it, and i can still have a nice normal car for every day use. My mates little suzuki swift 1.3litre gets up anything, gets out of anything, and when it does get bogged, yuo can pretty much push it out :) (deathtrap in a prang though.)

Last edited by darb on Thu May 12, 2005 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
darb

Postby darb on Thu May 12, 2005 6:28 pm

Birddog114 wrote:darb,
Scary though! I have a 4WD but never gone far like that, perhaps I'm chicken :wink:

was just beach driving really, but he screwed up a bit of a tricky bit :)

edit : you were referrign to the boat photo, werent you? :lol:
darb

Postby birddog114 on Thu May 12, 2005 6:38 pm

Knew that, I used to drive "Jeep" military style in the war, gone into bushes, mud, and other, enjoyed much of the way I did.

Or hoovering the Huey over the watermelon field, let our gunner jumped out and grabbed few of them or two hueys surrounded the deers over the stream, the gunner pulled the trigger on his M60, one, two, three of them slumped.

The deers was big and too heavy we could not load them into the cargo bay so we had to sling them back to base for a big party.

Not now! too old for those funs.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby darb on Thu May 12, 2005 6:41 pm

hmmmm more stories like that please :).
darb

Postby birddog114 on Thu May 12, 2005 7:10 pm

darb wrote:hmmmm more stories like that please :).

Want fresh fishes?

Get a block of C4 or a hand grenade, gone up to the stream/ river threw it down and other team down the stream/ river picked up few hundred of kilos of fresh fishes same as in the ocean, mate! lot of funs and we were young, no commitments, just knowing that still alive when you wake up the next morning.

I flew Birddog my first year in the Air Force (L19/ Observation plane/ a little Cessna 2 seater) over the tree height, or the canopy of the jungle, drawing fire from the enemies on the ground then pop a smoke for the gunships to take care of the bad guys! sometimes got cold feet!
Last edited by birddog114 on Thu May 12, 2005 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby darb on Thu May 12, 2005 7:13 pm

stuff like that reads like a fictional book ... the cool part is i know its true. Some of the stuff the older guys in my family have told me, blimey! Scary rough times but by the same token, awesome!
darb

Return to Image Reviews and Critiques